Blogged while watching Grease Live! on Fox.
During a recent visit with my BFF (my mom, Sophia) I was treated to homemade (yes, homemade) lox. I was blown away by how delicious it was! I was even more blown away when she told me the 17 seconds she spent making it! So, I immediately went out and bought my own fillets and made it right at home. And it was just as delicious!
Prep time: 2 mins
Total time: 24 hrs, 2 mins
salmon fillets (skinless)
oil (your choice)
1. Mix together the sugar and salt at a 1:2 ratio (1 tablespoon of sugar to 2 tablespoons of salt). If you prefer it more salty, use a 1:3 ratio, but I suggest you start with 1:2 for the first time.
2. Generously season all sides of the fillet with the mixture.
3. Cover and place into the refrigerator.
4. In 12 hours, pour out the excess water that will collect on the bottom and flip the fillet over.
5. In another 12 hours (24 hours after first seasoning), rinse the fillets under cold water and pat dry. Sophia recommended to add a little oil, but I chose to leave it off and it was just as delicious.
How Do I eat lox?
- Scrambled eggs with a side of lox.
- Everything bagel with cream cheese and lox.
- Lavash bread with lox, persian cucumbers, onions, and dill.
- Toasted rye bread with garlic rub and lox